Sunday, March 13, 2016

Production Report (8a)

By clicking here, you can see the first piece of content I produced for my rhetorical analysis - the introduction. This felt like the easiest place to start, so I dove right in.




Below is the part of my outline from which that lovely audio is adapted! And below that are a few pieces of reflection on the production of this content piece.


Introduction:


  • Main idea: Writing is an integral part of discovering new things in science (biology), and understanding the ways and contexts in which writing is composed facilitates gaining something out of research. (Be exciting)
  • The genres
    • Scientific Paper
    • Review Paper
    • Presentation/Lecture?
  • Rhetoric as an integral and somewhat innate part of the scientific writing process
    • Audience is the part of the rhetorical situation that most drastically shapes writing and communication in biology, no matter the genre.
    • Purpose varies depending on the genre


  • Rhetorical strategies: Logic and credibility are crucial, emotion is essentially nonexistent no matter the genre (possibly will delete, too in depth for intro)




  1. To create this content, I constructed a script using conversational language. I took the points from my outline and attempted to write interesting and intriguing sentences that would lead the listener into my podcast and hook their attention. In podcasts, it's conventional for the speaker to speak as if they are talking to someone, and this influenced the way I authored the script. I also made mental notes of places where I want to split the raw audio to insert a sound affect - one of these will be at the very beginning before my voice is heard. Though they aren't there yet, there are spots in the raw audio saved for employment of these conventions.
  2. The biggest hiccup was learning how to navigate and work in Audacity. I spent a good ten minutes trying to figure out how to edit my audio track, and why it wasn't working. But once I figured out my problem (who knew you can't delete a segment when the track is paused rather than stopped? I didn't.), producing the intro was pretty much smooth sailing. When I started writing the script, I definitely changed a lot of what I was originally gonna say. My outline is a little too formal and non-conversational, and it goes into too much detail. I decided to save most of that detail about rhetoric for later and instead just briefly overviewed what rhetoric is. I've also gotten rid of the first genre for now, as I've yet to obtain many examples. I'll add it in throughout the week if I decide I don't have enough with the other two.

No comments:

Post a Comment