Monday, April 11, 2016

Production Report 11a

Heyyyyy I've got some draft material to share with you now that I'm done dealing with a personal life crisis, so check it out below!


OUTLINE ITEM
Transgender individuals are starting to come into the liberal and political spotlights now more than ever. These individuals are so often discriminated against by people who don’t acknowledge their gender identities, and in some cases this discrimination manifests as harassment or violence. As a result, transgender people don’t always feel very comfortable in public. It has been brought up as partial solution that a trans person should be allowed to use the restroom that matches their gender identity, rather than their biological gender. Unfortunately, this is not a good solution for the problem. Allowing this could jeopardize the safety of others, and using the bathroom is just a necessary daily process and it shouldn’t necessarily be a statement of identity. A better way for society to combat trans discomfort would be employing more single-occupancy, gender-neutral restrooms.


ADAPTATION OF OUTLINE ITEM
 It seems that most people, at some point in their lives, will struggle with "finding themselves" or some other issue pertaining to the self. But no one knows this struggle as intimately as a transgender person. The dysphoria that comes with being born inside of the wrong body is something unparalleled by any other feeling. And as an ally with a transgender best friend, I can fully testify that it is not a happy existence trying to find comfort or acceptance with the situation. One place where gender discomfort largely exists is within restrooms, locker rooms, or other private facilities. Here, a trans person might feel a strong sense of non-belonging and unease at being misidentified. Legislation is springing up as a result that addresses the concern; some bills being proposed would allow a trans person to use the restroom or facility that corresponds with their gender identity. In instances such as North Carolina, these bills are being shot down rapidly before they even had the chance to be defended fully.
(Go into North Carolina issue in more depth + add citation) Of course it's great that American society is trying to become more welcoming and understanding of individuals who might not conform to the "norm". However, North Carolina's concerns are absolutely valid, and maybe they're onto something. Allowing people of opposite biological sexes could indirectly jeopardize the safety of others; furthermore, bathrooms are not divided by identity (as sex and gender are two different things) and trying to turn a restroom into a matter of identity might not be the most useful to any party involved. A better way for society to combat trans discomfort would be employing more single-occupancy, gender-neutral restrooms.



AUTHOR RESPONSE TO AUDIENCE QUESTIONS
  1.  I used form very carefully while creating this content. It wasn't easy, because my heart just wants to discuss the issue informally, but I was able to adopt a professional and more credible tone that is consistent with the standard college essay. Things like word choice and in-text citations (which will be there properly in no time, pinky promise) are very typical of the genre and employing these definitely did my project well
  2. The production of an introduction is always a little tough for me. I always want to just dive in there, which I do, but then I realize that I have no real idea where my paper is going to go until I start writing so I end up canning the beginnings of an introduction. Despite that, I think it went pretty well. I think I'm going to need to find ways to be more interesting Trying to come up with hooks and things was my biggest issue with the intro, as well as making my thesis (the last two sentences) a cohesive and concise entity. Other than that, I think it was successful and at least some content is better than no content.

No comments:

Post a Comment