Monday, April 4, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

Oh boy it's time for a new project which always means I'm placed in a new rhetorical situation. And to start off on the right foot, I gotta analyze this thing. Hence...


Author
  • I'm a biology major with a music minor which could mean I have diverse interests in everything, which I do
  • I'm really into gender studies and diversity, especially as a young person with many close LGBTQ+ friends and am learning that I'm not so much an ally to the community but am actually a member. This is what's leading me to do this project about something in this field. I have a lot of heart behind my opinions in this area.
  • So again, these are the current-day political issues that mean the most to me. I mean holy shit can we not just protect everyone's basic human rights to things like marriage, gender recognition, not being targeted by hate speech orrrrrrr like what is this country doing right now I mean it's great that the supreme court ruled in favor of marriage equality but the fact that some marriage officiants are refusing to wed same-sex couples and some states are protecting that refusal and like god could we just let people get married and then like as soon as the word "transgender" is mentioned some people just have a hissy fit like why can't you just let them be if they aren't happy or comfortable in the body they're in they should be allowed to change it and deal with it but that isn't happening I dunno okay sorry done with the soap box
  • other than that not really very invested in politics #idkanyonebesidestrump2016
  • I'm really interested in genetics and nature vs. nurture (whether behavior is determined by genetic makeup or by an individual's environment)
  • I've played the clarinet for 9 years now and while i'm not a music major i'm still fairly invested and in love with my instrument. I've also picked up the ukulele (i'm a fairly decent uke player if I may say so myself) and I've always sang and music is a really big part of my identity and who I am
  • I'm definitely very biased when it comes to LGBTQ+ rights and i'm aware of that but i'm probably not gonna be open-minded because I cannot conceive a reason why discrimination is actually acceptable or understandable and my project will be from that angle so i'm not really worried about this
  • My family's pretty conservative and I conflict with them in this sense
  • I spent 18 years in a small town with those same conservative viewpoints so I was one of a few black sheep then, and I never really discussed political views or any of those sorts of things because I didn't want to argue with them and cause a commotion because I was the odd one out.
Audience
  • I want to make this project for the people that disagree with me. I don't want to preach to the choir, I know that gay and trans people want equal rights. Duh. I want to talk to the people that can't wrap their religiously warped minds around the concept that "hey maybe that lesbian is a person too and maybe I shouldn't be an asshat to her" and try to help them wrap their minds around it. So conservatives, homophobes and transphobes, and general jerks of any age, gender, shape, size, social status etc.
  • Honestly they're probably not going to listen to my logic because they're convinced they're right. They're going to think i'm wrong and possibly be hateful against me as well.
  •  I mean hopefully they'll be able to relate to the fact that they are humans, as are the people i'm discussing. I would be soooooooo happy if my paper could cause an epiphany like that and help them realize that maybe they don't really have much of a right to hate someone else for their identity
Purpose
  • Okay I've sort of more narrowed in my focus for the project (finally) so hopefully nothing following this is going to conflict with what I've said before but I'm just going to move forward from here. i'm talking about how transgender people want to use restrooms that match their gender identities rather than their biological sex, and even though i'm an ally i'm actually going to argue that they should not be allowed to do this..
  • I want my audience to consider my viewpoint, even if it is less liberal than was expected, and the points that i'm truly trying to make. I want them to also understand that this is not a matter of discrimination, it's more a concern for safety and I want everyone to really be concerned with each other's safety and that's what motivates my thoughts and feelings on the matter. I'm hoping my audience can look past their feelings of displeasure that will likely come from my paper and recognize that there is a threat and it's so much better to be safe than sorry. I don't want this to be a point of emotional contention or identity.
  • I feel like I probably need to explain the identity and discrimination issues that trans individuals face, but also explain the vulnerability that comes with an issue like public restrooms for everyone, innocent potential victims and transgender people alike.
  • I would really like to hear more from people who don't feel comfortable having someone of the opposite biological sex in the area because the loudest voices in the argument are the trans community who want to use the bathroom with which they identify and the conservatives who speak on behalf of those who they want to protect. But those people who they want to protect are hard to find speaking on their own and I think that has the potential to really sway the argument in either direction. If I can find more stuff like that I think I'd be golden.
  • As far as information goes, I think it would be useful to find statistics on how often sexual harassment happens in public restrooms or locker rooms. A lot of this argument is just "this is what would happen" and it sounds like a lot of assumptions without evidence. I'd really like to provide an educated argument for what I believe and I think trustworthy meaningful evidence is a large component of that.
Context:
  • I'll be writing a standard college essay, and historically I've always done extremely well on essays.
  • Audience expectations include format, (headings, Works Cited, spacing and indentation based on MLA, citations, etc), quotations, introduction and conclusion and body, things like that. We all know what to expect from a standard college essay.
  • I feel very good about this project and I think a lot of it is chalked up to the genre selection. I've written kick-ass persuasive and argumentative essays in the past, and I've never really struggled to pull those together.
  • I think quotations are the most useful genre convention because it could build credibility by establishing that other people agree and are saying things in line with what you're saying. It also provides another voice amidst the tone I set as an author and could even provide another perspective. Especially in a situation like this when you're dealing with a conversation, it's nice to hear from the people in the conversation without me just telling it as a narrative. Another major convention is probably the rigid structure. The audience knows that from reading the body, that's where they're going to get their information and that's a really powerful thing for me as an author. Being able to place information exactly where a reader can do something with it helps.
  • Right now lots of bills and political attention is being focused on the issue, so that. Lots comes up from searching "Bathroom Bills" as they're being dubbed. Also, discrimination based on sex and things have happened with bathrooms before so parallels can be drawn in that way. Social media is talking about it a lot, for example trans people using the hashtag #wejustneedtopee. I think it's really all over the place right now in media's eyes.
  • Counter arguments I'll face include the fact that people deserve to feel comfortable and happy. That's the biggest one and that's not something I can just say "that's false" about because it's definitely not. I'm not quite sure how to face this.




No comments:

Post a Comment